Thursday, August 14, 2008

Yikes!


Well, it turns out that I am on my way to becoming a guitar tech, I am getting more and more comfortable with various guitar related projects. I have fit, shaped and installed custom (pre-compensated) saddles and bridge pins of various materials on my guitars and other peoples, installed pickups on two, and repaired/re-installed a pickup on a third, can change strings fairly proficiently, perform minor set ups (mostly neck adjustments) and converse with a fair amount of fluidity about various parts of the guitar. While I know this is not a big deal to most, especially not other actual guitar players, it does represent some measure of success for myself. It wasn't all that long ago that changing strings wasn't on the list of things I could do and I just installed a 4 part pickup in a decent/high end (for me) guitar. It is a little scary drilling a hole through the top of such a piece of equipment, but I did it, and the pickup sounds terrific. Sometimes I guess I need to celebrate the small successes. It shows progress. Makes me feel like this old dog can still learn new tricks.

I didn't quite know how this blog was going to come out. I guess I was just excited about doing something right (the recent install) and wanted to share! So there you have it. Thanks for listening...

PS I also like to say that I got a new guitar out of the deal. I used to have just an acoustic... well I now have an acoustic/electric, nice...

No comments: